As a regional company, Red Shield Insurance Company understands the unique hazards associated with living on the water. We have been writing coverage for floating homes for over 25 years, and while the complexity of the floating home community has changed, our dedication and ability to evaluate each risk on its own merits has remained constant.
Our Marine Broad Form is customized to provide extensive coverages for the unique exposures of floating homes, including flood and “Perils of the Sea.” To maintain flexibility in our underwriting we’ve also developed a Marine Basic Form for floating property which does not qualify for the Marine Broad Form program. The Basic form(s) allows us to insure older floating homes, boathouses and rental floating homes which other companies generally will not write.
Marine Broad Form Policy Overview:
- Owner Occupied Floating Homes 30 years old or newer (1)
- Personal Property for Tenants
- Homeowners Secondary Residences (theft exclusion applies to contents)
- Floating Home (2)
- Other Structures — 10% of Floating Home limit automatically included
- Personal Property — 50% of Floating Home limit automatically included
- Sudden and Accidental Direct Physical Loss (3), including Perils of the Sea and Flood — subject to policy exclusions
- Replacement Cost Coverage on Floating Home
- Named Perils, actual cash value on personal property coverage
Additional Coverages Includes
- Collision Damage by Non-Owned Watercraft to Float — 5%
- Debris Removal — 10%
- Sue and Labor — 10% (includes towing)
- Protect from Imminent Prospective Loss — Sublimit (includes towing)
- Trees, Shrubs and Other Plants — 3% of Coverage C
- Fire Department Service Charge
- Property Removed
- Ordinance or Law —10%
- Additional Living Expense
- Moorage Fees — $5,000
- Damage by Marine Mammals — $5,000
- Volcanic Debris Removal
- Replacement Cost for Personal Property
- Replacement Cost for Other Structures
- Loss of Use
- Personal Injury Liability
- Additional Residences Rented to Others
- Liability Extension for Secondary Residence
- Earthquake (California ONLY)
- Up to $1,000,000 limits
- $5,000 Medical Payments (to others) included
Special Limits For
- Money and Securities
- Watercraft and Trailers
- Silverware and Jewelry
- Antiques, Fine Arts and Memorabilia
- Incidental Business Property
- Cameras / Video Cameras
- Property of Students
- Theft of Property from any Motor Vehicle
- Business Property away from Floating Home
- Higher Limits Available
Marine Basic Form
Written for Floating Homes that do not qualify for the Broad Form Basic Coverages. Available as monoline property coverage or as a package with an optional liability endorsement added. Basic perils are also available for boathouses on a package basis.
For Floating Property Policies through Red Shield Insurance Company® contact your local independent agent.
1 Floating homes over 30 years old can still qualify for Marine Broad Form program if electrical,
plumbing and roof have all been updated in the last 30 years.
2 A Marine Survey may be required.
3 Sudden and Accidental Direct Physical Loss including “Perils of the Sea” unless specifically excluded in the policy.
This web page is intended only to be a general description of coverage. Specific coverage, conditions and exclusions are given only in the policy contract itself. Please review the policy for specific details.